Noble Burn

Post your decks, ask for suggestions, constructively criticize.

Noble Burn

Postby Lectrys » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:55 pm

This thread is for Noble Burn decks of all Nobles and all splashes!

This is a typical mono-red Burn deck from me:

Noble Burn
Noble
1 Goblin Guide

Lands
1 Barbarian Ring
19 Mountain

Creatures
4 Keldon Marauders

Spells
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Chain Lightning
4 Rift Bolt
4 Fireblast
4 Shard Volley
4 Incinerate
3 Volcanic Hammer
4 Flame Rift

Sideboard
4 Relic of Progenitus
4 Smash to Smithereens
2 Red Elemental Blast
2 Pyroblast
3 Volcanic Fallout

With Goblin Guide as its Noble, this deck has a stunningly consistent Turn 4 win (as long as you're goldfishing) and quite a few Turn 3 wins (usually involving Fireblast). Unusually, 3 of its uncommons are sideboard choices (3 Volcanic Fallout) and another is a land (1 Barbarian Ring).

Inspired by mandroid's suggestion of a land as a Noble, here is a Modern-inspired Rakdos Deck Wins deck from me:

Noble Rakdos Deck Wins
Noble
1 Badlands

Lands
1 Barbarian Ring
11 Mountain

Creatures
4 Keldon Marauders
3 Hellspark Elemental

Spells
4 Bump in the Night
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
4 Flame Rift
4 Chain Lightning
4 Fireblast
4 Incinerate
4 Shard Volley
4 Volcanic Hammer

Sideboard
4 Duress
4 Smash to Smithereens
2 Pyroblast
2 Red Elemental Blast
3 Seismic Shudder

Note the extremely low non-Noble land count and the ability to support maindeck Bump in the Night and sideboard Duress. This is thanks to the Noble, Badlands--a Mountain and a Swamp with no drawbacks. The uncommons this time are 3 Hellspark Elemental and 1 Barbarian Ring. This is slower than the mono-red deck, with fewer Turn 3 kills, but it generally topdecks better with a lower land count.

With these decks, make sure to play your Noble on Turn 1 for maximum benefit.

Does anyone else have a Noble Burn deck they would like to share? How have Nobles like Grim Lavamancer, Vexing Devil, Figure of Destiny, and the soon-to-arrive Ash Zealot been testing? Are there awesome burn spells that I've missed? Is Staggershock any good in a Burn build?
Lectrys

Re: Noble Burn

Postby Photon » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:13 am

No suggestions to make, just a comment:

As a new Noble player, that land count just blows my mind, but at the same time, I can't get over how effective it is to run a dual as your Noble. I feel like there is all this depth to the format I have yet to learn, it makes me feel like I'm 13 and playing in the lunch room again!
Photon

Postby mandroid » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:59 am

The choice between the land/non-land noble pretty much comes down to what you need to play in your meta - if you need a quicker clock then goblin guide is awesome but if you need to grind it out over a creature battle then the land noble is an excellent choice. I'm glad you liked my idea.

Reckless Charge is also a fairly good card if you have enough creatures.
Custom card set: http://www.magicmultiverse.net/cardsets/229

Noble decks: http://tappedout.net/users/mandroid/mtg-deck-folders/

If you want to play Noble over the net, PM me and we can work out the details. I am interested in establishing a metagame.
mandroid
Site Admin

Postby Crivaro » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:52 am

The idea of a double land as noble is pretty cool, but it's disadvantages are clear: No cool effect on hand / in reserve.
steffenbrand.deviantart.com - visit me =)
Crivaro

Postby mandroid » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Yeah, if the game goes long you're most likely going to lose out on quality, but this deck probably has any other aggro deck beat hands down - since you're drawing more gas you've got plenty of burn to throw away on their creatures, which means that they're going to have trouble dealing enough damage to you to win. If you 1 for 1 all their creatures then you're left with more burn in your hand than they have in theirs, which means you would win assuming you can keep the board nice and clear.

Also I feel that the weakest link in the badlands deck is pretty much bump in the night - most of the time you won't be able to pay for the flashback. I'd recommend switching to duress at the same cmc but helps fight off combo and control, and is fairly good against aggro as well, neutralising their best threat or their fireblast.

One distinct advantage that other aggro decks do have over this deck is Fireblast. Speaking of which, this deck cannot support 4 fireblast imo. Drawing two means you've got a dead card most times. I'd recommend either 1 or 2 of them to ensure that you don't draw too many. Other than that this deck seems quite powerful, though I don't fell like it has good percentages against storm. Without something like goblin guide turn 1 you're clock is a little slower than traditional aggro - which is fine because you're gonna draw more gas in the mid game to finish them with, but you need to get to the mid game to do that. Adding duress and other hand-strippers would give you a much needed bump against storm and control. Strip storm of their best accelerator (typically seething song i think) and control of their card drawing spell or mana fixing depending on their hand, and you've put yourself a long way towards a win.

Edit: What about Blightning? Totally forgot about it in my build, but it's pretty rock solid. Biggest problem is getting to 3 mana, but it's great SB material at the very least, as this is a midrange deck and 3 isn't out of the question, plus siding in against storm and control is an insane beating. Who doesn't like mind rot plus lightning bolt?

If you want to play Noble over the net, PM me and we can work out the details. I am interested in establishing a metagame.
mandroid
Site Admin

Postby Crivaro » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Edit: What about Blightning? Totally forgot about it in my build, but it's pretty rock solid. Biggest problem is getting to 3 mana, but it's great SB material at the very least, as this is a midrange deck and 3 isn't out of the question, plus siding in against storm and control is an insane beating. Who doesn't like mind rot plus lightning bolt?

Lol, just mentioned that over at T/O :D It would also fit better in there if you look at the red Manabase.
steffenbrand.deviantart.com - visit me =)
Crivaro

Postby VTC » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:55 pm

I think the land noble idea can be taken a step further into not tapping for your primary color. For example, the following super rough list:
Noble Zoo
Noble
1 Savannah

Lands
15 Mountain

Creatures:
4 Wild Nacatl
4 Kird Ape
4 Loam Lion
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Scab-Clan Mauler
4 Cerodon Yearling

Spells:
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Fireblast
4 Rift Bolt
4 Incinerate
4 Searing Spear

You could also play Taiga or Badlands with Islands for a really vicious fish-style deck if you think combo decks are good.
VTC

Postby mandroid » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Oh god VTC I looked at your list and playing that matchup with my noble land deck against yours would be crazy. It would be like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rclYaXUh3c0#t=0m25s

mandroid
Site Admin

Return to Decklists