Noble Notables - Gatecrash Edition

This forum is for all topics which don't fall under any other forum's specific topics.

Noble Notables - Gatecrash Edition

Postby graft » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:29 pm

Hello fellow internerds, and welcome to the first installment of Noble Notables, a detestable column I will use to confabulate on cards and masticate your mind. Specifically, we’ll discuss which new cards I think will be important or interesting in the Noble format. If you have ideas that I overlooked, please share your ideas with the hive mind, who will conflagrate my buttocks for misbehavior. All comments about me or my hideous, fornicator mother can be directed to President Obama, who will no doubt decree to ban my stupid face from the netwebz.

You will take note that, most likely due to my pretentiousness, I have not assigned any of these cards a rating as is so popular amongst columns of similar je ne sais quoi. This will allow you to assign your own meta-rating based on data mining of libelous and pejorative words scaled against the rare compliment. Mostly though, it’s because the ratings are pretty damn meaningless and either distract you from content or dissuade you from judging a card for yourself. The latter ability is one of the most important skills in this game, so I won’t rob you of the opportunity.

(With or) Without further stupidity, on with the cards!

Commons (a.k.a. Cannon fodder, cogs, grunts, peons. These guys get the dirty work done.)

Grisly Spectacle

I like to tout Noble as the only constructed format where mill is a reliable wincon, and I think this is a fine tool for a UB-mill deck. It can deal with a threat and it mills. Sure it costs 4 mana, but I have to imagine that this will make a few sideboards somewhere.

Ivy Lane Denizen

If you haven't already considered it, this guy is ten kinds of walnutz in a persist deck. He can generate infinite mana with an Ashnod's Altar and a Safehold Elite. You can scry infinite for the combo with Viscera Seer. Make infinite dudes with Spawning Pit. This is just off the top of my head, and I'm sure you can do better as my head's crowning achievement was achieving a negative Jeopardy score larger than the U.S. National Debt. Heyo!

Kingpin's Pet

If you're looking for commons to fill your extort deck, this guy is good enough to make the cut. 3 mana is actually more than I would want to spend on a dumb guy with extort, but as filler he's fine.

Massive Raid

I decry a lot of cards for being win-more. This is a win-more card, and yet I don't hate it in Noble. Token makers are relatively plentiful even at common and uncommon, and sweepers are much rarer in Noble than other constructed formats. 3 mana for an instant speed "I win" is good curry.

Mortus Strider

I don't think this guy is better than reassembling skeleton, but he is a common which is a huge boon. There is probably a sacrifice-based strategy that wants a guy like this. Maybe he fits in your Ogre-Slumlord-Durdles.dec?

Syndic Of Tithes

If you're building a dedicated extort deck, you want a lot of cheap cards with extort. This guy is all three, how can we go wrong?! He's pretty good stuff actually, and I could see slotting him into a white weenie strategy that needs extra reach.

Uncommons (a.k.a. Your Lieutenant. Your secret weapon. Your backup plan.)

Bane Alley Broker

A glorified looter with some interesting implications. If your opponent is playing targeted discard like Duress, you can respond with Bane Alley Broker to exile your most important card, then get it back on your turn. As a general looter it's a little worse than Enclave Cryptologist, I think.

Boros Charm

You know it by now, this is the best charm in the cycle. In Noble the Indesctructible clause is worse in Noble than in other formats, but it can swing a losing battle in your favor. This is the juuunk!

Dimir Charm

There's a lot of competition for the uncommon slot in any deck, but this is actually useful against 90% of decks out there. Aggro decks usually have some kind of small creature to kill, combo and ramp decks tend to rely on sorceries. Midrange/Rock decks are bad matchups for this card but the 3rd ability ensures it isn't a blank. Decent, not amazing.

Duskmantle Guildmage

I only bring this guy up because of the combo with Mindcrank. I think that the Mindcrank + Bloodchief Ascension wincon was a bit premature to ban and I would like to bring it back. In Noble you can't run 4 Mindcrank plus this guy. You can run two of each and use transmute to tutor them though.

Elusive Krasis

I keep going back and forth on this guy. A giant unblockable butt is actually pretty spicy when he pumps fellow evolvers, but on his own he's just a bad wall. I reserve judgment, but I'm leaning towards him being good enough to play.

Experiment One

In the right deck this guy will grow to maybe 3/3 or 4/4, which is superb. I think he's good enough to see play but personally I would prefer to play something like Wolfir Avenger instead.

Ghor-Clan Rampager

As an aggressive option, a 4/4 for 4 with trample is acceptable, but turning this into a combat trick is actually quite nice. With an infect creature it's even better.

Hellraiser Goblin

I can't think of any other uncommons that have this effect. This guy gets a gold star for effort.

Hold The Gates

The gates are very good in Noble, so by extension I think this has a small chance in the right deck. Doran, the Siege Tower + 24 gates, anyone? Or how about Amulet of Vigor + gates + token makers? No? Well, I tried.

Skullcrack

We all know that burn decks will prefer this over Flames of the Blood Hand, costing 1 mana less is much more important than dealing 1 extra damage.

Sunhome Guildmage

Cards that can continually make tokens always have a shot. Selesnya Guildmage sees play and this guy is likely better. His built-in anthem effect can help make up for the fact that he's competing with Intangible Virtue's slot.

Thrull Parasite

A 1-drop extorter is going to do good things over the course of a long game. His 2nd ability is less relevant, but using him to reset an undying or persist counter should be a popular use.

Truefire Paladin

Back in the day of Fallen Empires, Order of Leitbur and Order of the Ebon Hand were powerhouses. This guy is somewhat better than them, but creatures in general are much better than they were back in the day. Paired with equipment, I start to like this guy.

Urban Evolution

Holy crap I love this card. Explore finds its way into a ton of my builds, and even at 5 mana I think the effect is powerful. There are a lot of cards in Gatecrash that ask for 7 mana, and this is the perfect way to ramp that far.

Vizkopa Guildmage

Much like Duskmantle Guildmage, I bring this guy up mostly because of his combo with Exquisite Blood. It's fine for a 2-card combo, but it doesn't seem worth building a deck around such a lackluster card as Exquisite Blood.

Wight Of Precinct Six

For 2 mana this guy has the potential to be bigger than Tarmogoyf, but generally won't be. Jace's Phantasm is almost always better. Still, it's tempting to try him in one of those mill-aggro abominations I've seen around.

Noble (a.k.a. The Big Bad. The Boss Man. The Fat Lady.)

Assemble The Legion

I have a challenge for you: make this card good in Noble. Post your decks on TappedOut and link them below. The best entry (of my choosing) will receive a copy of Assemble the Legion and I will spend a feature token to feature the deck. You have until Midnight (12:00AM Central) on Feb 24 to post your entry. No purchase necessary, contestants outside of earth need not apply.

Boros Reckoner

The infinite life combo still works in Noble, but you'll be using something like Lifelink to give him lifelink because you need the uncommon slot for Boros Charm. This precludes Spitemare, which is too bad for angry horses everywhere.

Consuming Aberration

I bet this guy's development name was "Cousin of Extinction", or "Little Brother of Extinction". His built-in milling is what makes him good since you don't necessarily have to draw your mill cards to make him big. Still, the lack of evasion means that your opponent can just chump him all day.

Deathpact Angel

I'm going to play this in Standard with Mikaeus the Unhallowed just to confuse the hell out of my opponent. I think there's some kind of infinite sac loop here, but I haven't pinpointed it. Mikaeus gives undying to Angel, angel dies, Cleric token appears and angel comes back, cleric has undying and can return a different angel from the 'yard and still come back, etc etc. She's nothing special in Noble, other than the fact that she represents card advantage. Yawn.

Domri Rade

Planeswalkers have not been particularly popular for Noble, but this guy is the real deal. With all of the spell-like creatures available these days, packing a deck with 32 creatures is hardly a liability. Or 28 creatures and 4 Sensei's Divining Tops. Card advantage, protects itself, wins game.

Duskmantle Seer

Bob 2.0 is no Bob, but he will see play and he will be good. The thing is, if you're running this kind of effect you don't want a high curve. That makes him pretty good for Noble since you can run 1 copy and never have to worry about losing 4+ life on your upkeep.

Enter The Infinite

I think Noble is a great format for this card to show off. Do I have any idea of a deck that will work in this format? Heck no! Is it a good card? Heck no again! But I hope that one of you can think of it, otherwise this card is destined for the bulk bins, right next to Vizzerdrix.

Five-Alarm Fire

A hard-to-deal-with enchantment in a color that has access to plenty of token makers is pretty good. Add some Raid Bombardments and Krenko's Commands and turn your guys sideways.

Giant Adephage

I will always approve of a giant version of Spawnwrithe. I know this was made for EDH, but I love the effect. Slap a Fireshrieker on this guy for style points.

High Priest Of Penance

People have been quick to say that this card is "broken", but I don't think that is the case. Even in Noble we have access to all sorts of non-damage removal. Sure you can think of 3-card combos, but those generally aren't very scary. Not very impressive in Noble, but you could engineer a profitable situation with cards like Undying Evil and a pinger.

Immortal Servitude

I'm pegging this card as a sleeper hit. I think it has the potential to be broken across many formats. In Noble it has its applications but generally it's a bit weaker. Still, at CMC 3 you can do some crazy things with Eternal Witness.

Lazav, Dimir Mastermind

This is the type of card that I expect people to play but to be disappointed by. The restrictive casting cost means he isn't coming down on turn 4 most of the time, and the high variance of his clone ability will leave people cold.

Master Biomancer

This might be the best card in the set. Time will tell. Like the green Denizen, this guy is bonkers in a Persist deck for all of the same reasons. Even if you just churn out Elvish Visionaries and Mulldrifters, this guy deserves to be feared.

Ogre Slumlord

Which one of you is going to build the first infinite rats deck? This guy is mediocre in my book, but I can think of some combos to make infinite rats. I hope someone prints off a few hundred rat tokens and wins by dumping them all over their opponent, creating some kind of diluvian rat nightmare parody.

Ooze Flux

This card is really terrible, but it gets a nod for flavor and personal preference. I love me a good Gilder Bairn, and by extension I love me a good infinitely-sized slimeball. However, you could build Undying.dec and overrun your opponent if that's your thing.

Prime Speaker Zegana

This fine lady deserves some attention, but I can't help but find her very boring. There's very little in the way of tactics if you build around this card. Play Big Guys, draw Big Cards, beat Big Face. That's about it. Good stuff if you have trouble sleeping. Snore.

Well, that wraps up the Noble Notables, I hope you enjoyed this little pastiche. I give you one final offering: my top picks for each rarity!

Common: Ivy Lane Denizen
Uncommon: Urban Evolution
Noble: Master Biomancer

Come back on Feb 25th-ish to see who has won the contest. It could be YOU! Did you miss the mention of the contest? Try checking the list for a certain durdley enchantment. GOOD LUCK JERKWADS!

-Bryan Votel (a.k.a graft)
"Just think how strong I'll be if my arms don't tear off!"
graft

Re: Noble Notables - Gatecrash Edition

Postby Rahienn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:37 am

I made an entry! http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/raise-an-army-win-a-war/

Also wondering why I never made an account here before, seems like a nice little community :)
Rahienn

Postby Crivaro » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:59 pm

Welcome to the community! :D
I don't think I'll find the time to submit a deck, but good luck to all participants!
steffenbrand.deviantart.com - visit me =)
Crivaro

Postby deadbolt » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:38 am

I also have attempted an entry! Hope you like
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/noblecraft-legion/
deadbolt

Postby Demonwalker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Demonwalker

Postby graft » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:59 am

Well I'm slightly sad to say that my contest fizzled a bit, but I'm also thrilled to have the opportunity to see your entries. Most of all, I am pleased to announce the winner of the contest:

Raheinn, deadbolt, and Demonwalker! Everybody wins! Send me a PM with your mailing address and your favorite Ravnica guild.

As it happens, I have enough copies to go around. And I really did enjoy seeing everyone's decks. If anyone cares, mine is here http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/legionnaires-disease/. I admit that I expect to use your ideas to help construct a better deck for Assemble the Legion. I like Court Street Denizen OR Goblin War Drums in the deck. Volt Charge and Congagion Clasp are awesome. It really does need countersells like Mana Tithe or Lapse of Certainty to mess up combo decks. I like the idea of including Guardian of the Guildpact if also running turn 2 accelerants like Boros Signet. A Guardian on turn 3 can really take over the game against aggro.

Thanks again everyone! I love community participation so I will try to make a fun contest the next time we do this. Stay tuned!
graft

Postby deadbolt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:43 am

The website won't allow me to send a PM are you able to enable that for me I'd rather not post my mailing address on a thread.

Also just thanks for the contest, its awesome of you to awards a prize to us all, not to mention it was cool just learning about older cards when searching for synergistic cards with Assemble the Legion. Hopefully if you post another contest like this I'll alert some of my friends to get more submissions going to raise the competition and see cool new deck ideas.

Also not to change your idea, but maybe a future contest it would interesting to give 4x uncommon, and I think it would be interesting to see what sort of Nobles people pick to build around the uncommon.
deadbolt

Postby graft » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:55 pm

You should be able to send a PM by using the following link: http://noblemtg.com/forum/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=55. If you still have trouble let me know.

I like the idea of using uncommons in future contests. For example, some of the guildmages have great abilities if you build around them. Hopefully there's something inspiring in Dragon's Maze. Thanks for the feedback!
graft

Postby deadbolt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Yeah, it's still not letting me, it says I'm not authorized yet. If you sent me a message first would it let me respond maybe?

Also yeah, I'm really looking forward to Dragon's Maze and the fact that no lands will be basic, as I am hoping to start doing drafts which I've never really had time for before and I feel like having gates or rare lands in every pack would make it fun to really push 3-4 colors
deadbolt

Postby Demonwalker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:18 pm

It's not allowing me to reply as well. Same message as deadbolt.
Demonwalker

Next

Return to General